Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Tropical Storm Warning



The ABC crew convened for some testing yesterday afternoon and there will be upcoming reviews from Blizzard Wizard and Ghost Blizzard, so stay tuned.  I went with a Hawaiian Cookie Dough combo, from the Old Saybrook DQ.  I have been intrigued by the Hawaiian flavor since I first noticed it one the menu but this was my first experience with it.  The Hawaiian part of this ABC truly exceeded my rigorous expectations for Blizzard flavors.  It is a complex and challenging flavor, and perhaps not the best option for an ABC neophyte, but it's worth the extra effort.  The Hawaiian includes toasted coconut, banana, and pineapple chunks.  The coconut and banana flavors set the tone with a nice smooth base, but it's the pineapples that steal the show.  You don't get one in every bite, but when you do it's a transcendent experience.  This ABC kept reminding me of pineapple ambrosia, and specifically it took me back to an experience with it at an all-you-can-eat diner buffet somewhere in the Great Plains during a cross-country drive to college in Colorado.
The drawback in this ABC was the cookie dough.  While I think this combination works conceptually,  the quality of DQ's cookie leaves a lot to be desired.  It lacks flavor (I think it could use a little salt) and is texturally boring.  I do look forward to trying out more Hawaiian-based ABCs.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment